A conservator is a person appointed by the court to protect and manage the estate (i.e., all money and property) of someone in need of protection. Utah defines someone in need of a conservator as “a person who, due to mental illness, mental deficiency, physical illness or disability, chronic use of drugs, chronic intoxication, confinement, detention by a foreign power, or disappearance is unable to manage their estate and affairs.”

Conservators must manage an estate prudently and carefully to ensure the estate is not squandered. They also must report often to the court regarding the financial health of the estate. If they do not exercise prudence and care, they may be held financially responsible for the estate’s losses.

Many times, when a person is appointed as someone’s guardian, they are also appointed as conservator. In many situations, however, court appoint conservators without appointing a guardian. It all depends on the particular situation.

Do You Need Help Petitioning for Conservatorship? Contact Brown Law.

While we at Brown Law do not personally handle conservatorships, we know very good, reasonably priced attorneys who do. We are more than happy to speak with you about your situation, and provide you with a referral to an attorney who can meet your Utah conservatorship needs. Call 801-685-9999 or 800-299-1016.

Get A Divorce Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney

Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.