Protection for Your Loved Ones, Whether They Are Minors or Incapacitated

Guardianship is a legal status that gives you authority over another person and can be established for children and adults, depending on the situation:

  • You can apply for guardianship of children when their parents have died, have abandoned them, or are unfit to care for them. For instance, grandparents may want to have guardianship over grandchildren who have lost their parents.
  • Older adults who are losing their faculties or children who have reached 18 years of age with mental or physical disabilities may require guardianship to ensure their well-being, maintain their lifestyle, and prevent others from taking advantage of them.

At Brown Law, our lawyers handle guardianship in Salt Lake City and the surrounding areas. We can assist you with acquiring and filing the correct paperwork as well as representing you in any hearings or court proceedings involved in the petition. We understand the need to protect your loved ones and we will guide you through the process.

Salt Lake Lawyer Handling Child Guardianship Petitions

Petitioning for guardianship in Utah can be a lengthy process and requires psychological evaluations of the individual in question as well as an attorney to represent the person guardianship is being established over, also known as the ward. You will have to define the types of authority you wish to have over your loved one as part of the process. Once you become the guardian of an adult or a child, you will be able to:

  • Ensure that your family member’s needs are met
  • Make decisions regarding education, living arrangements, health care, expenses, and end-of-life issues
  • Maintain your family member’s finances and ensure his or her bills are paid, as well as have authority over some spending decisions

Our law firm understands the needs of these incapacitated individuals and the desires of their families to help them. We work with you to establish guardianship so you can ensure your loved one’s safety and happiness.

If there is any dispute between you and the adult in question, the child’s parents, or any other person or entity, we offer guardianship mediation to resolve the issue.

Contact Us to Schedule a Divorce Consultation

Call us 24/7 at 801-685-9999 or toll free at 800-656-3260, or send an email to schedule a time to come in and talk with us about your need to establish guardianship. We are here to help you. Our attorneys speak Spanish and Italian.

Get A Divorce Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney

Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific divorce issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.