It’s over, and your spouse asked you to move out of the house last week.

You said no, either because (1) you don’t have money to get another place; or (2) you have kids, and you realize leaving the house is not a good idea if you want 50/50 custody.

Either way, you’ve stayed.

Then you get home from work and your key doesn’t work.

Your spouse changed the locks on you.

This story happens more often than you would think.

What can you do?

First, let me start by saying your spouse can’t evict you from you own home, and this includes changing the locks.

So, the house is still yours and you can still live there. You’re not breaking any laws by getting back in the house.

Second, logistics. How do you get back in the house without keys?

Don’t break anything (you’ll just have to fix it later). What you should do is call a locksmith and have him come to your house and make you a new set of keys.

Locksmiths know the drill, so you should be able to find one that will help pretty easily.

Tip: it’s best to have the locksmith come over when your spouse isn’t there. You don’t want any unneeded confrontations.

Call Brown Law

If you find yourself facing a Utah divorce, please call 801.685.9999 for an in-person consultation, or use our online scheduling tool.

Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney

Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.