In Unlimited Power, Tony Robbins relates the findings of a study of Yale graduates from the class of 1953.

The researchers interviewed the graduates and asked them if they had a written set of specific goals and a plan to achieve those goals. Only 3% had these goals.

In 1973, twenty years on, the researchers re-interviewed the graduates. They found that the 3% with written goals were worth more — in net asset terms — than the other 97% combined.

This is the power of the written goal.

Now, what does this have to do with you? You’re going through a divorce or child custody dispute. Money is probably tight, or altogether non-existent. It may never seem like you’ll ever get out of this situation.

That might be what you think, but it’s not true.

Even now, you can take control of your money and succeed. And how do you start? With written goals, of course.

I would suggest your first set of written goals should focus on a plan for getting out of debt. (For more on a specific plan on getting out of debt, read here and here.) In the end, though, your goals are your goals. The most important aspect of all of this is make goals, and make them specific so you can measure your progress.

Written budget

An absolutely indispensible part of succeeding with money goals, such as getting out of debt, is preparing a written budget every month.

I can promise you: if you don’t prepare a written budget, your money will magically disappear, and so will your goals.

Just as a written a written blueprint is necessary to build a home, or even a shed, so is a written monthly budget necessary to build your goals.

My family and I use www.everydollar.com to prepare our monthly budget. It’s free and very user friendly.

Commit

Sit down and write out your money goals. Commit, no matter where you are in your divorce or custody case, to do everything necessary obtain those goals. In doing so, you will change yourself and your family.

Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney

Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.