It doesn’t seem to matter how much or how little money people make, there are always financial issues that come along in any divorce. For one former NBA player, his financial issues seem to surround his inability to make child support payments. At least, that’s what his ex-wife says, and she is now asking the court for a lump sum payment so she never has to go back to ask for money from her ex-husband again.

Utah sports fans may remember that Allen Iverson, whose NBA career paid him an impressive $140 million, plus he is said to have an endorsement deal that paid him another $100 million. However, that hasn’t stop Iverson from telling the court that he doesn’t have the money to make his child support payments. Iverson’s financial circumstances were not reported, so it is unclear whether or not he truly does not have the means to pay.

His ex-wife has asked the court to order her ex-husband to pay her a lump sum child support payment that she will put into a trust for her children. She is asking for somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.2 million. This amount may at least guarantee her the money to care for her children by avoiding any delinquency in payment.

People in Utah may not be aware that it is possible, under certain circumstances, to obtain a lump sum child support payment. Any custodial parent that believes this would be the best way to obtain financial support from the noncustodial parent may benefit from seeking advice as to whether this would be an option in his or her particular case. It is the responsibility of every parent to provide for their children, and the courts are available to help ensure that happens.

Source: Sports World News, Allen Iverson Broke? A.I. Doesn’t Have $1 Million Ex-Wife Seeks In Child Support [VIDEO], Glenn Minnis, Sept. 16, 2013

Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney

Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.