Refusing to pay child support is not an option for noncustodial parents. Most Utah residents understand that child support payments are part of the court order made by a judge during a divorce. The agreement is to ensure that the noncustodial parent keeps his or her parental responsibility to provide for the child as if the family was still living together.

However, some noncustodial parents feel the need to have the court modify their child support agreement based on a number of factors. Some might feel that the amount of visitation is too limited or the monthly payments are too high. This appears to be the case that actor Charlie Sheen is dealing with this month. The 48-year-old actor has been paying his ex-wife, actress Denise Richards, the sum of $55,000 per month for the support of the two daughters he shares with her.

Sheen is reportedly requesting an adjustment of his agreement based on the lack of time he gets to spend with his two daughters, 10-year-old Samantha, and 8-year-old Lola, while still paying what he considers to be an outrageous monthly amount. Sheen is also expected to request his 42-year-old ex-wife move out of the home that he provided as a convenience not only for the girls to be close to their school, but to be close to Sheen as well. While this former couple has had trouble in recent months, their main issues seem more directed toward the financial at present.

Some may view Sheen’s issues with his monthly child support payments and the girl’s living arrangements as him forgetting to consider what is best for his two daughters. Of course, Utah residents might agree that the amount of monthly child support should be fair but not unreasonable. However, the court will generally only grants a child support adjustment if the requesting party can show a significant change in circumstances. A lack of visitation time is not usually considered a valid reason for requesting such a change.

Source:, Charlie Sheen reportedly wants child support reduction, No author, March 14, 2014

Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney

Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.