Custodial parents in Utah understand just how much it costs to raise a child these days. Many single parents would not be able to properly care for their children if it was not for the payment of child support by the noncustodial parent. When a parent is not receiving that much-needed support, children could go without even the basic needs.

One out-of-state father who was ordered to pay child support for his two children back in 2007 has reportedly failed to make his court ordered payments since 2008. As of November of last year, the man owed just under $100,000 in back child support. Warrants have been issued for his arrest in two counties, but his whereabouts are not known at this time.

If found, he apparently will face at least 10 felony counts for nonpayment of child support. If convicted, he could be sentenced to prison for no more than 15 years. It is also an unfortunate byproduct of this man’s case that his children have most likely not seen him for years.

Many Utah families may experience this same problem. Not only is child support not provided, but the children suffer even more because they may not have regular contact with the noncustodial parent. The fact that states are willing to prosecute these cases evidences the fact that many families are not receiving the support they are entitled to by law. When a custodial parent is not receiving regular child support payments, he or she may return to the courts for further relief. When a noncustodial parents has suffered a substantial change with respect to personal finances, such as the loss of a job or a health emergency, courts will typically consider an application for a downward modification in support payments based upon documented and acceptable circumstances

Source:, “Chicago man owes $100k in overdue child support“,  April 25, 2014

Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney

Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.