Child support is often a sore spot between parents in a divorce. While considerations behind determining a child support order may change from state to state, a question many parents in Utah may have — whether they are on the payor or payee end of a support payment — involves the ability to modify a payment order. Circumstances change, but should child support change with those circumstances?

Generally speaking, it is possible to gain a modification of child support, particularly if there is a significant change in circumstances. This could include a substantial increase or decrease in income or the disability of a child. However, the parent requesting the change is often responsible for proving a change in status occurred, which isn’t always easy to do.

If a modification is desired, a request must be filed in family court. Those thinking about a modification may consider seeking counsel beforehand to determine if the change of circumstance is considered significant enough to pursue the request. At the end of the day, only a judge can make the call regarding whether the circumstances warrant a change in the support amount.

Securing a modification of child support can be difficult and expensive to attain, though not impossible. Keeping documentation to show a change in circumstances will prove beneficial when it comes time to file a motion for the adjustment. Even though there are cases that may not be approved, Utah parents who believe they qualify for a reduction or increase in child support payments certainly have the right to make the request.

Source:, “Your Legal Corner: Modification of a child support order“, Victoria M. Dalton, June 22, 2014

Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney

Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.