Although both parents are responsible for supporting their children, child support is typically paid by a non-custodial parent to a custodial parent after a divorce. The amount of support is based on several factors and can be affected by custody decisions, parenting time, and the gross income of each parent. Whether you expect to owe or receive child support, your income and that of the other parent will be based on all income sources. Wages are the primary source of income for many parents, but unemployment and workers’ compensation benefits can be considered. Investment funds and self employment income can also be considered. It may be helpful to have an accurate evaluation of your income in advance so that clear and current information can be presented.

There may also be cases in which modifications to existing child support orders are needed. It is important to address such issues as promptly as possible to limit the potential for falling behind on payments. A job loss could result in your inability to make payments, and a prompt approach to seeking adjustments may minimize the stress of the situation.

A remarriage or the birth of another child could also play a role in a current support situation, making it important to re-visit the terms of your child support order to determine whether modifications are possible based on changing family dynamics and responsibility. You may also need to revisit support issues if the support-owing parent is failing to make payments. It is important to remember that you may not use this as a reason to deny visitation or parenting time.

In seeking assistance with modifications or enforcement, effective legal representation may be important for clearly presenting the issues to the court. You can learn more as you read our child support page.

Source: Brown Law, “Salt Lake City Child Support Attorneys“, December 10, 2014

Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney

Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.