Parents in Utah may benefit from understanding more about some general information published by the Office of Recovery Services, operating within the state’s Department of Human Services. The Utah ORS oversees Child Support Services, the department tasked with collecting child support. The CSS is also involved in enforcing court-ordered child support and obligations concerning medical insurance. In addition, this department can also assist with establishing paternity, locating parents or modifying existing child support orders.

The ORS or CSS may also be able to assist with collecting alimony if it’s been ordered alongside child support in a divorce decree. Parents in Utah should be aware that neither of these departments has any authority over issues concerning visitation or custody rights. If the inability to locate a parents is interfering with a court order, the ORS or CSS may be able to submit a request to the Federal Parent Locator Service.

These two departments can still assist with obtaining child support, even if a parent has moved to another state. In these cases, the CSS may request the other state initiate a case to collect child support or it may send a notice about withholding income to the parent’s employer. Once a child support case is sent to an agency in another state, the ORS and CSS no longer have any authority in the matter.

Parents in Utah who need assistance with understanding more about child support may benefit from confiding in a family lawyer. Legal counsel may be able to provide accurate answers or remedies to a parent’s specific issues. These lawyers might also be effective in assisting parents with negotiating terms concerning visitation schedules, child custody, legal rights and other aspects of the parenting plan.

Source: Utah Department of Human Services, “Custodial Parents Frequently Asked Questions“, October 28, 2014

Get A Legal Consultation With An Experienced Utah Attorney

Your privacy is 100% guaranteed, your information will never be sold or shared.

While this website provides general information, it does not constitute divorce advice. The best way to get guidance on your specific legal issue is to contact a lawyer. To schedule a divorce consultation with an attorney, please call or complete the intake form above.

The use of the Internet (or this form) for communication with the firm (or any individual member of the firm) does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.