How to get your child support amount raised

Do you feel that you should be receiving more money in child support? Are you ready to request that the other parent begin to pay more? While this is never a simple process to tackle, it is possible if you take the right steps.

In the state of Utah, child support obligations are based on an income share formula created by the Utah State Legislature.

In short, the income of both parents is used to calculate the monthly child support amount. Along with this, there are other factors taken into consideration, such as the number of children.

Do you have reason to believe that the amount of child support should be increased? If so, it is possible to ask for a review and adjustment. However, it only makes sense to do this if it has been at least three years since the order was issued and/or there has been a significant change in circumstances.

During the review, it is determined if the child support amount should be increased.

If you are interested in requesting a review and possible adjustment, you must make a request in writing to ORS/CSS.

There is no guarantee that you can get your child support amount raised. If you have reason to believe this should happen, however, don't hesitate to take the necessary steps. You have the right to receive the appropriate amount of money, and nothing should stop you from doing so.

Maybe your request is approved. Maybe your request is denied. Either way, you will at least have a better idea of what the future holds.

Source: Utah Department of Human Services, "Custodial Parents," accessed May 09, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get a Consultation with an Experienced Attorney

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Phone 801.528.9697 Fax 800.299.1016

Office Location

Salt Lake City Office | 740 East 9000 South Suite A | Salt Lake City, UT 84094 | Phone: 801-528-9697 | Fax: 800.299.1016 | Salt Lake City Law Office Map

Orem Office | 545 E University Pkwy | #200 | Orem, UT 84097 | Phone: 385-477-5003 | Map & Directions

Google Map Google Map

Privacy Policy | Business Development Solutions by FindLaw, a Thomson Reuters business.